Buying & Selling Online-Why not to
ON-LINE AUCTION SITES ARE A HASSLE!
- Cumbersome and very complicated to use
- High fees.
- If a bidder does not pay, most online auctions do not return listing fees.
- Established sellers with high feedbacks are bookmarked by bidders rendering the new seller at a disadvantage.
- Have little chance, most never sell.
- You must describe item exactly and note any deficiencies.
- Do not put the wrong information in the headline or select the wrong category venue.
- You need a good photograph
- You need high feedback ratings.
- You pay fees even if your item does not sell.
- A great amount of time is necessary to set up an account and fully understand the auction sits terms, conditions and charges.
- Riddled with problems.
- How do you handle complaints and returns?
- Bidders do not always pay.
- Bidders ask questions and expect immediate responses.
- Who pays freight charges?
- Shipping is a hassle.
- Have you ever shipped overseas?
- How do you collect?
- Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
- Beware offers involving shipping – deal with locals you can meet in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union) – anyone who asks you to is a scammer.
- Don’t accept cashier/certified checks or money orders – banks cash fakes, then hold you responsible.
- Transactions are between users only, no third party provides a “guarantee”.
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, PayPal account, etc.
- Do not purchase sight-unseen—that amazing “deal” may not exist.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
· Insist on a public meeting place like a AB&L or a State Police post.
· Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
· Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
· Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
· Take your cell phone along if you have one.
· Consider having a friend accompany you.
· Trust your instincts.